As we move further into an age where Americans place great focus on their everyday health, people tend to question Western medicine. While it does still hold an important place in our society, we continue to see a movement towards incorporating alternative medicine that takes a more holistic approach.
Holistic medicine focuses on the entire person. This differs from Western medicine, which tends to only center on problem areas during treatment. By treating mind, body, and spirit, holistic approaches attempt to reach the root of the problem and bring the patient into balance.
Understanding your options and deciding what type of care works best for you can feel empowering but also requires some thought.
Read on to learn five important factors to consider as you choose a holistic doctor.
1. Types of Holistic Treatments
A number of different holistic treatments exist. Learn about the available approaches and decide which works best for your health.
Some alternative therapies include:
- Acupuncture – inserts thin needles in strategic points on the body for healing
- Yoga – uses breathing, postures, and meditation for overall wellness
- Reiki – energy healing through the practitioner’s palms
- Massage therapy – rubbing of soft tissues that relieves tension and pain
- Chiropractics – mechanical adjustment of the musculoskeletal system
- Homeopathy – natural substances help the body heal itself
- Acupressure – focuses on pressure points for healing
- Chinese medicine – a number of techniques that restore yin and yang in the body
- Hypnosis- puts a person into a trance state to achieve healing through suggestion
Each of these approaches offers whole body healing in very different ways. Some may work for you, while others may not fit your frame of thinking or being.
You probably would not go see a self-proclaimed doctor with no schooling. On the same note, you should not go to a holistic healer who does not have the proper training.
Some holistic practices require degrees and licensing, while others take training with gurus. Do your homework about the practitioner’s credentials and experience, and look up references and reviews.
When you get into alternative approaches, the cost can vary greatly. Some may cost more based on expertise, while others simply practice for the money over the art.
Find somebody you can both trust and afford.
Health insurance covers most types of Western medicine. But, when you start looking into holistic approaches to healing, it may not.
Insurance companies will cover certain types, like chiropractic and acupuncture. But, not all practitioners choose to take insurance in those fields because of the obstacles.
Speak with your practitioner prior to treatment. Look on their website and perform a Google search to get a feel of who they are and what they’re about.
You will get a much better healing experience when the healer comforts you. Find somebody you really like and feel good about.
Find Your Holistic Doctor
Holistic healing works wonders in conjunction with Western medicine, as it helps you heal in your entirety. Do your research and find your holistic doctor today!
We care about your wellness. Read more tips on the health section of our website!